Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fair trade and Organic

A customer came into the store today and asked if we had any Shade Grown coffees. I proceeded to explain what/how/why/what and how we deal with fair trade and organics. Below is something I wrote and posted in the store a while back to try and explain where we stand in this regard. For your reading pleasure.......


Blackcow and Fair-trade/Organic

The Black Cow is limited with its ability to roast and sell organic and fair-trade coffees. Most fair-trade coffees are also organic and with the new USDA rules (laws) for processing and selling organic products our space does not conform to the requirements needed for certification. We used to sell organic coffee but now that the rules (laws) have changed we are not allowed. The long-term idea is to move the roaster out of the store to a space that can accommodate the certification and then we will be on board. Until then, whenever I see a fair-trade coffee that is not organic I do buy it. Straight up organics will have to wait.
You notice now how there is so much “organic” in the supermarkets these days. I really believe that the new organic rules were set up to allow the big agri-producers to get into the game of “Organic”. Now Dole, Wal-Mart and the huge agri-businesses can put an “organic” sticker on their products because the new guidelines have several levels of classification for organic. Maybe it’s better on the giant, global scale of things moving a little closer to the organic model, but do your homework, what says organic should fall into some new classification of “organic” but find out the real story/source of the product. Some of these foods are pretty scary. Whenever possible best to buy local products/produce where you know the source. When we get to that point documentation will be provided for our organic coffees.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause…….

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well in reality, if I had to choose at this point, I cannot avoid the crap in non-organic foods no matter how hard I try- BUT I CAN make a difference in a family getting paid fair wages for their work just so I can enjoy my Black Cow fix- or any coffee fix for that matter.
I would much rather you keep up trying to get a hold of fair trade than organic if I have to choose.

Michael said...

Hey thanks for the comment..........I agree, unfortunately (or not) most of the fair trade is organic. When the time comes I will just go all organic and in turn fair trade, shade grown etc. it's an interesting argument and if you feel inclined come in and we can chat...........thanks